Thursday, July 23, 2015

Top 5 Favorite Early Childhood Books

Stories are such a huge part of childhood. Certain ones just connect with us and stay with us well into adulthood. These are the stories we hand down to the next generation. These are the stories that still light up our eyes when we think back on how they made us feel. So here is a list of my five favorites from my early childhood that have a special place in my heart.



Top 5 Favorite Early Childhood Books
Image courtesy of GoodReads.com

1.  The Serendipity Books by Stephen Cosgrove
The Serendipity Books were a series of whimsical stand-alone stories that carried a poignant message at the end of each little paperback book. They were morality lessons told to us by fantastical and adorable creatures, many of whom had several of their own books in the series. The beautiful illustrations by Robin James helped stir the imagination and complement the gentle tales. I was absolutely in love with them as a child, with Buttermilk (picture above) being my favorite. 



2. The Whisper the Winged Unicorn Series 

Written by a number of different authors, this series featured the title character of Whisper, a winged unicorn living in an enchanted land. Much like the Serendipity books, it was a stand-alone series that followed Whisper's adventures with her friends as they all learned lessons. They were charming and heart-warming little stories, and really... what little girl could resist a rainbow-maned unicorn? ...Okay, okay - I STILL can't resist rainbow-maned unicorns.



3.  The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
I'm sure this is a favorite on everyone's list, but what can I say? It's a classic for a reason. My mother used to read this to me and my brother when we were little. The stark and simple illustrations do such an effective job at evoking the book's core theme of friendship and loneliness. This is still a household favorite and one we all take turns reading to my two little nephews. 



4.  Jellybeans for Breakfast by Miriam Young
I remember being drawn to this one's bright yellow cover with two smiling girls. Jellybeans for breakfast? Sign me up! This early reader story was a prose about one nameless girl trying to convince her neighbor to come over by telling her about all the fantastical adventures they will have together. It was a great book that captured childhood whimsy and wishes. And a great gift to give a best friend.



5.  The Chick and the Duckling by Mirra Ginsburg
This was another book my mom used to read to me as a young child. It tells the story of a little chick who tries to do everything his bigger ducking friend does, with the line "Me too!" said the Chick echoing throughout the story. "Me too, said the Chick" became a common phrase my mom would use every time I wanted follow or imitate my older brother. She still teases me with it to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment