Friday, November 6, 2015

RPG Superstar Retrospective: A Personal Victory

Paizo's RPG Superstar Logo


Every year RPG publisher Paizo holds their “RPG Superstar” contest to look for new talent in the game design industry. Now, in addition to being a writer of children’s literature, I am also a hard-core gamer. I started playing RPGs when I was twelve years old (when my cousin introduced me to Dungeons & Dragons via the "Curse of the Azure Bonds" computer game), and I have been playing ever since.

This year Paizo hosted their contest twice in one year. My husband made it into the Top 32 of last season, and this season it was my turn. I’ve been entering the contest for about four years now and never truly thought I would make it far. For me, RPG Superstar was a personal challenge I set for myself. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I have struggled with dyscalculia my entire life. I’ve had a math teacher humiliate me in front of my entire class. I’ve had a guidance counselor tell me that I would never make it into college because of my low math scores. I’ve been told that I didn’t try hard enough, despite the fact that I poured over my text book with tears of frustration streaming down my face almost every night. Numbers, formulas, technical concepts… they simply do not click with me.

Despite the math heavy rules in many table-top role playing games, I have always enjoyed them. In fact, I think they have been the best math teacher I’ve ever had. It framed numbers and formulas in a way that was fun and made sense. After college, when I finally experienced the relief of discovering dyscalculia, I started to look to gaming as a way for me to casually practice my math skills. My gaming circle has always been incredibly patient with me in this regard. They understand I can’t calculate as quickly as everyone else, and give me the time I need to figure it out. They never coddle me or get frustrated when I am too slow. They understand my difficulties and are incredibly supportive.

RPG Superstar has not only been about my love of gaming, but also an extension of my desire to prove that I am not stupid. Entering every year has been a way for me to test myself; a way for me to overcome those nasty memories, and work toward helping myself to understand and apply mathematical concepts. Suffice to say, I never dreamed I would make it to the Top 32, let alone become a finalist!

The entire experience was overwhelming but very educational. There were some rounds I struggled more than others (the monster submission of Round 3), and others that I honestly just had pure fun with (map making in Round 2). The contest challenged my knowledge, abilities, and imagination, and I will admit that at times, it simply wasn’t fun. And when I say it wasn’t fun, I mean I was literally curled up, sobbing in a corner ready to raise the white flag. But every time I hit that point, I remembered the teachers who didn’t believe in me and it gave me the strength to continue. I had to prove to myself that they were wrong.

It’s evident to anyone who participated as a judge or voter that many of my entries lacked technical and systematic finesse. This is not something I will deny. It is absolutely a weak point of mine for obvious reasons mentioned above. But neither is it something I want to ever use as a crutch. The gaming industry demands a certain level of competence with technical skills (as they should), and I fought my hardest to develop those during the contest. I didn’t always succeed, but the point is I gave it my all and didn’t give up. I am quite proud of myself for that and all I accomplished.

I didn’t win, but I made it into the Final 4 and now have a chance to write a small adventure for Paizo. This was much farther than I ever dreamed I could make it. It means so much to me that so many were willing to overlook my flaws in favor of my strengths in concepts and imagination. That said, I am going to continue to work hard to grow my technical skills and gain the well-rounded edge I would like to have as a freelance game designer. I have learned much through this journey, but I still have much more to learn. This contest has tested my limits and it has introduced me to so many amazing, creative people. It was utterly exhausting, but I consider myself to have emerged victorious and with a new-found strength.

To anyone out there who may struggle with a disability, be it learning or otherwise, know that you are more than your disability. You are more than the names you may be called. Don’t let those voices keep you down from achieving your dreams because I am living proof that anything is possible. Just try your best and never stop believing in yourself. We may face challenges that many others may never understand or experience, but I assure you it makes the victories all the sweeter. You can do it. I believe in you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment