Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Event Report: Halloween Book Signing for Ashwood

This past weekend I got to have my first ever book signing. And what a rush it was! This is an event myself, Distinguished Press, and Kinokuniya Book Store have been discussing over the past month. Kinokuniya has long since been one of my favorite book stores in Manhattan. With it's stock catering to alternative fashion enthusiasts and geeks alike, it's a store where I always feel at home.


Me at Kinokuniya Book Store NYC

Suffice to say I was thrilled when Kinokuniya responded to my request to host my book signing. There is nowhere else I would want to have my debut book release event. It was a dream come true. Of course, dreams led to waking reality, and I realized that this meant I would have to face the bane of most writers - speaking in public! I turned to my friend and cover designer, Nancy Ramos, and asked her if she could do me the favor of moderating the talk before the signing began. To my relief, she agreed and I could finally breath again knowing that I would have her at my side for the event.


Nancy Ramos MCing the discussion with me before the signing

Cover designer, Nancy Ramos and author, C.J. Malarsky

 Like most writers, I am very much an introvert and I prefer to express myself through my writing. Though I have many years worth of experience and academic background in theater, getting up in front of people still terrifies me. It's one thing to be on stage pretending to be someone else, but another thing entirely when you have to address people as yourself.


A packed house


Patrons lining up to get their book signed

The big day finally came, and on Halloween, none the less! But with it also came the marathon of butterflies swarming inside my stomach. Luckily, I had friends and family on hand to keep me calm. Nancy was a brilliant MC and Kinokuniya, a very generous host. I spoke for about 40-45 minutes with Nancy asking me a number of prompt questions about Ashwood and other literary questions. The time flew by in a whirlwind for me. I couldn't recall what I had even said afterwards, though a number of people assured me it was an engaging and eloquent talk. So whatever jitters I had, I somehow managed to mask it.


Signing copies of Ashwood

We had a great turn out, from friends and family, to complete strangers. And what's more - Kinokuniya sold out of their stock! A huge thank you to everyone who came out to show their support, and also to Kinokuniya Book Store who took a chance on a new, indie author. I can easily say that this was the best Halloween I've ever had. Thanks to all who participated!

Me with Kinokuniya's event coordinator, John Fuller - Thank you Kinokuniya!

No comments:

Post a Comment